Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Urkey Lurkey(Italian pasta dish)

I got this awesome recipe from a friend, who I think, got it off of a cooking show. It rocks! :)

1 lb pasta
1 head cauliflower, broccoli, or both
1 lb Italian sausage(we leave this out when T is home b/c he doesn't like it)
4 oz salami or pepperoni(when T is home we do 4-6 oz of each)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil(I only use 1/4 cup)
1 large onion
1 red or green bell pepper julienned
2 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper(I use this only in my portion, it's much too spicy for my kids)
8 oz cubed mozzarella cheese(I use closer to 16oz)
1/2 cup sliced green olives
1/2 cup sliced black olives
2 TBS freshly chopped parsley leaves
finely grated Parmesan cheese for passing at the table

Bring a pot of salted water to boil, and cook pasta according to directions. Strain and place in large pot or pasta dish, cover.

Meanwhile, bring another pot of salted water to boil, and cook cauliflower, broccoli, or both, until tender crisp(about 5 minutes). Using slotted spoon, transfer to pot with pasta and cover.

Meanwhile, in a skillet over med/high, crumble and cook Italian sausage until browned and cooked though. Add pepperoni/salami and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer meats to pot with pasta and cover.

Add 1 1/2 TBS olive oil to a hot skillet with onions and bell peppers, and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, basil, oregano, and red pepper, and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Using spoon, transfer to pasta pot.

Add olive oil, cubed cheese, green and black olives, and parsley to pot. Toss to thoroughly combine. Serve in large bowl.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…cool desktop this website

    ReplyDelete