Monday, May 16, 2011

flour tortillas

Ok, so the other day I needed a recipe for tortillas and for whatever reason couldn't pull my whole wheat one up on the computer, so I pulled out a super old church cookbook, and there was this recipe for flour tortillas, and I thought, sure, why not...
Well, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to making my whole wheat ones because these are FANTASTIC! Here's what I did...

4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
10 Tbs oil/butter/etc
up to 1&1/2 cup warm water

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together, then mix the oil in with a pastry blender. Add water a little at a time until dough is sticky. Dump out on floured surface and knead until soft and even. Divide dough into egg sized balls(I usually get 20-22). Let rest 20 minutes. Roll out each ball very thin, and cook on griddle or in a pan(ungreased) on medium about 30 seconds on each side.

This is double the original recipe, so if you don't need as many, you could half the recipe, or make this and freeze the leftovers for another meal. We only get 1 meal out of 20-22 tortillas! We had tacos tonight with these and we had 1 tortilla left over! HAHA!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Thanks for posting these too, Chara!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been looking for a recipe to make tortillas thanks now I can make some.

    ReplyDelete