Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Laundry detergent

First, let me say this is NOT my recipe. You can find it all over the Internet in various forms. Just do a google search for DIY laundry detergent and you'll find a bunch! 

Y'all know I'm thrifty, but refuse to be so at my family's expense. So... I've been using whatever natural-as-I-can-get laundry detergent, and it always costs a pretty penny! So when I decide to finally make the plunge and try to make my own I was super excited, bc I get to choose what goes into it! :)

So this is what I used:
-4.5 oz of a natural bar soap that had tea tree oil in it(bc I liked the way it smelled and it used essential oils so my sensitive kids are ok with it)
-1 cup borax(NOT boric acid!)
-1 cup washing soda

And this is what I did:
First, I grated the soap(not the giant side that's showing here! I used the tiny side!)


Then I took the grated soap and ran it through my food processor. You don't have to do this but I wanted it to be uniform in consistency bc that's how I roll.


Then I mixed it in a bowl with the borax and washing soda.


Then, I put it in a jar with a label, bc, again, that's how I roll. You could totally keep this in a tuperware or plastic bag, or whatever! 


Total cost was about $4. This should do 64 loads, and it took me about 10 minutes to make. Totally worth it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment